Sunday, March 20, 2011

photography by Revival Art www.rastudio.ca
Song Stories 
Love Shines CD Project

'Breathing Together'













Ps. 23 ’you make me lie down in green pastures; you lead me beside quiet waters. you restore my soul.’


This weekend I've spent time with both my parents in Vernon, most of our time together being spent in the Intensive Care Unit.  Both my parents are physically exhausted from the stress they have lived through these past 2 weeks in particular.  They are also facing much uncertainty in the days ahead.  Dad is still in ICU and his condition is 'serious'.   There were moments in our time together where we shared great memories from the past, laughed about crazy moments, and spent time in quiet silence together - overwhelmed at the present circumstance.  A couple of times, I said to dad, 'let's just breathe together' and it was a way to share our time together without need for conversation.
The concept of 'breathing together' has become powerful for me these past few years.  One evening 4 years ago I was having a difficult time and having a hard time breathing due to stress.  A friend came, placed her arm around my shoulder and didn't say anything.  She just 'breathed' with me, until my own breath was steady and calm. Somehow the power of her presence was much more powerful with quiet breath than with any words she could have ever said in that moment.  


The song, 'breathing together' reflects the heart of this experience and the invitation to rest that I find in psalm 23.  

excerpt from 'Breathing Together'  from the Love Shines CD
When my soul is weary,
when my heart is heavy
Then you come & you tell me
Lie down, lie down

As I rest my body
then you lie beside me
And you breathe with me
And you breathe with me


No comments: