Friday, March 18, 2011

Today - In ICU

I arrived in Vernon today.  My dad has been in ICU for the past week due to severe complications from a surgery and has come close to death.  Right now his condition is serious and we don't know what the next few days will bring.  On Sunday, my older sister Grace had a heart attack and joined dad in ICU.  Needless to say, it has been a rather stressful week for all of us.  Grace is recovering and will probably be discharged tomorrow.
I've been very concerned about my father and it was good to finally be at his side this afternoon and evening.  Tonight became a significant moment for the two of us.  It is hard for dad to talk and each word takes time to be formed and communicated.  He made a big effort to communicate some things that were on his heart for me.  He told me that life is too short for dreams not be be realized.  He reminded me of some of the difficult years I have been through and that he admired me for keeping a dream alive in spite of so many challenges.  In short, he offered me a blessing and let me know that he 'sees' me and is 'proud' of me.  This is a great gift and one I will cherish as I live into my dream of sharing my songs.

And so on behalf of my dad, I invite us all to pay attention to the dreams that are deep within our hearts - listen to them, nurture them, honour them - life is too short not to live into them.

No comments: